Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Forgive You

Holding resentment toward others poisons our own hearts, and in that way holding resentment is a way for those that hurt us to keep winning long after the battle has been fought. It’s not fun and I don’t like it. I admit there are a couple of pirates of whom forgiving has been very hard. The pain they caused and the lengths they went to in order to try and hurt me were great.

I do not hold it against these pirates. I’ve been trying very hard to forgive the last year or so and I admit it’s been a long road for me. Most things I forgive easily, but some pains are harder to get over than others. I do not speak to these pirates if I can help it, at least not most the time. When I do have to speak to them I do my best to be civil, taking extra care on how their hatred for me will cloud the way they see my actions. They are not always civil back, but I will not lower myself to hold a grudge.

I do believe everyone deserves at least one second chance and that people can change for the better, no matter how long they were the way they were before that change. I have tremendous faith in people and the power of love in our lives.

I admit that a few years ago I was the type of person that when I took offense to an attack against myself or my ideals I’d throw up a huge wall. There are some who have pushed past those walls to seek forgiveness and friendship, which has created strong bonds then before the perceived attack. Love can truly conquer all things. I believe that with all my heart.

I forgive you for all the wrongs you have done toward me and my mates. However, that does not mean I will turn my back on you and let you do it again.

I forgive you, but I will continue to treat you in the manner that your actions dictate my responses to treat you in. All I can do is forgive you, only you have the power to stop hurting others.

I am no longer the type of pirate that holds grudges. You are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment